Accountancy Forum
Please give me exact Definition of Debit / Credit - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Please give me exact Definition of Debit / Credit (/showthread.php?tid=7436)

Please give me exact Definition of Debit / Credit - M.Shahi - 02-17-2010

Yar can anyone tell me exact Definition of Debit and Credit?

Thanks

- yasir_live - 02-17-2010

Debits represent increases in value of assets and expenses and decreases in income, liabilities and equity

Credits represent increases in liabilities, equity and income and decreases in assets and expenses

- Ali RAZA - 02-17-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yasir_live</i>
<br />Debits represent increases in value of assets and expenses and decreases in income, liabilities and equity

Credits represent increases in liabilities, equity and income and decreases in assets and expenses
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

WRONG..

There is no definitin of debit and credit. Debit is left side of T account and credit is the right side of T account.

- Dard - 02-17-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ali RAZA</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yasir_live</i>
<br />Debits represent increases in value of assets and expenses and decreases in income, liabilities and equity

WRONG..

There is no definitin of debit and credit. Debit is left side of T account and credit is the right side of T account.
You are wrong dude, debit credit are not just the sides of a T account
. T account is made after the entries
Debit is an increase in Asset, Expense. Credit is an increase in liability, gain/income or capital
Similarly decrease in liability, gain/income or capital is debit, decrease in asset, expense or loss in credit

- samis899 - 02-17-2010

The term debit comes from Middle French debet from Latin debilitum "that which is owed" (the neuter past participle of debere "to owe"). The term credit comes from the Latin creditum meaning "that which is entrusted or loaned" from the past participle of credere "to trust or entrust".

- M.Shahi - 02-18-2010

Thanks for all of ur views.
But the conclusion is that no fianl definition came to an end until now.... Pls. do it to athentic one...

- Mahtab - 02-18-2010

Debit is left side
credit is right side

- amahmood_satti - 02-18-2010

Dear M. Shahi,

Debit and Credit can be remembered as, the account which receives value is called Debit and the account which gives value is called credit. But you have to learn about Assets, Liabilities, capital, income & expenses to further strengthen the concept of debit and credit.

Regards,