Accountancy Forum
Is CFA worth the hassle? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Is CFA worth the hassle? (/showthread.php?tid=746)

Is CFA worth the hassle? - aamersikandar - 03-26-2004

Dear Readers
I want to ask your comments specially those who are or have undergone CFA course work. Please be specific.
a. What is employment of CFA other than in brokerage or stock exchange. Specially corporate employment.
b. What is the current market absorption rate of qualified CFAs. Their unemployment rate and general starting salary.
c. Are CFA books available in Pkaistan or we have to get them from USA only. If available are they at USA rates or at cheaper rates.
d. I have gone through the CFA site but could not trace their examination system. DO they hold only one paper for all subjects in a single diet or do they have saperate papers for all subjects in a particular level exam diet.
I will be thank full for genuine and informed opinions.

Aamer Sikandar

- sumaaan - 03-27-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Dear Readers
I want to ask your comments specially those who are or have undergone CFA course work. Please be specific.
a. What is employment of CFA other than in brokerage or stock exchange. Specially corporate employment.
b. What is the current market absorption rate of qualified CFAs. Their unemployment rate and general starting salary.
c. Are CFA books available in Pkaistan or we have to get them from USA only. If available are they at USA rates or at cheaper rates.
d. I have gone through the CFA site but could not trace their examination system. DO they hold only one paper for all subjects in a single diet or do they have saperate papers for all subjects in a particular level exam diet.
I will be thank full for genuine and informed opinions.

Aamer Sikandar
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

1. CFAs are into Risk Management and 'Financial Analysis' as well... Yes, CFAs also do jobs other than brokerage...

2. No proper statistics are available for the general starting salary for CFA in Pakistan...

3. Last I heard, CAMS in Karachi was making books for CFA available but only for its own students...

4. CFA has three levels... Level I exams are conducted twice a year (May/Dec) and Level II and III exams are held only ONCE a year in June.

- sumaaan - 03-27-2004

Currently there are only 53 members of CFA in Pakistan out of which 49 are hold the 'Charter' status.

- The Legend Killer - 03-27-2004

Yes it does worth a hassle . Only a few people in Pakistan have completed CFA as indicated by Sumaan. So and the starting pay of a CFA dwells between 2-3 lacs.

Dont Beleive Your Eyes

- CFANerd - 03-07-2009

Sikandar!
I think you haven't gone through the CFA site completely. Go to this link for test siteshttp//www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/resources/examdetails/index.html
and go to TEST CENTERS under the heading READY FOR CFA EXAM?
It is available both in Lahore and Karachi.

a. CFA is highly employable and there are many employers who would still employ even if you have 2 levels done. I am not sure what it's future is given the state of capitalism.
b. Go to google and search for salaries for CFA in Europe in USA which are two hottest markets for CFAs or in other words where there jobs for all sorts of skills. In Pakistan, it should be pretty much in six figures. I've heard LUMS graduates are getting great salaries and CFA is pretty much equivalent to any IV league school MBA.
c. They have a six hours exam split into two sessions, morning and evening with 2 hours break in between. It consists of 240 questions, not sure if they all are in two sessions or just one. Go to same link I pasted above. It consists of all the topics outlined in the study sessions of CFA meaning that CFA has courses upon which exam is based. All the information is there on their website.
There are some important things I want to share based on my own experience. Use SCHWESER guides to prepare for exams. They are very concise and precise but do go over CFA books as well. Learn to use financial calculator, that is very important. I would prefer CFA over MBA if you are considering doing one. There is another certification called FRM Financial Risk Manager. Given the length of CFA I think FRM would have more value due to rising demand of risk management discipline. This exam is very tough but on the positive side you can do it in less time than CFA. It is really a brain toasting exam. Go to www.garp.com for that or www.schweser.com. Good Luck!

- Pracs - 03-08-2009

You do realise you are responding to a post some 5 years ago !!

- CFANerd - 03-09-2009

Now I do. lol. Damn I never see the posting dates. I am new to FORUM side of internet world. Thanks for pointing out though.