Accountancy Forum
ICAEW in Pakistan: Related queries - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: ICAEW in Pakistan: Related queries (/showthread.php?tid=7503)

ICAEW in Pakistan: Related queries - UzairCh - 02-28-2010

Over the past few weeks, I have been seeing alot of posts directing towards me and receiving alot of email messages from this forum in which several of forum fellows are asking questions related to ICAEW. Since I am very busy at my work and I have not been able to look and answer most of emails or messages. Most of them went deleted un-replied after going into my junk folder.

Anyhow I am repeatedly being asked whether ICAEW professional stage exams are held in Pakistan.
My answer is No!. Everyone knows initially ICAEW's professional stage paper "Business Strategy" was not credited to ICAP Chartered Accountants and it was examined in Pakistan. During that period other professional stage papers could be attempted in Pakistan however within 3 months ICAEW brought further change into its policy and Business Strategy paper was credited to ICAP Chartered Accountants. Therefore no professional stage exam is held in Pakistan atleast not in 2010. It may be launced in Pakistan anytime in future and reason why i believe such so is because ICAEW has listed PIBF Islamabad as a partner in learning under the list of tution providers currently in process of developing their courses.
Secondly ICAEW says on its website "Currently only Advanced Stage exams are available". Which means its not final policy which may change anytime in future.

Since I am doing ICAEW articles in Ernst and Young so many ACCA students/affiliates ask me how to get ICAEW articles in any firm and whats the criteria of getting ICAEW articles in EY.
Friends you cannot get ICAEW articles in Ernst and Young unless

1) You are an ACCA qualified
2) You have been recruited as an ACCA or ICAP trainee in EY on normal course/routine
3) You have worked in EY for atleast 1 year
4) We have an internal appraisal grading system which is globally reportable. This appraisal scoring is out of 5 and you get atleast 4/5 in your initial appraisal. I got 4/5 scores in my appraisals

After you fulfill this requirement you MAY be considered for ICAEW articles in EY and if approved your articles can be back dated 1 year so your first year will not be wasted which you waited for getting this contract.

There are still many other ways to enjoy an opportunity of ICAEW Training in Pakistan and that is you can register any firm company or organisation to train you as an ICAEW CA if it fulfills certain requirements. I discussed about it before but I can tell again if anyone specifically wants to inquire about it.

Kind Regards

Uzair

- zeeshansaeed - 02-28-2010

[/quote]
1) You are an ACCA qualified
[/quote]
What do you mean by ACCA qualified.A full member or an affiliate.

- Dard - 02-28-2010

It is not right to say ACCA qualified for someone who has only passed all the papers of ACCA. ACCA qualified means a member of ACCA. I think what uzair meant was ACCA affiliate which is what all ICAEW approved organisations require

- UzairCh - 02-28-2010

Zeeshan

ACCA qualified here means, Passed all the exams. (ACCA Affiliate)

- lost - 03-01-2010

Why should anyone who has passed ACCA go for ICAEW? I mean both are professional qualifications of same country i.e UK. In UK, both can do same thing (if i am right). How do you think its gonna help the students who choose ICAEW through this path in Pakistan as well as abroad?

As far as i know, ICAEW member needs to appear in 2-3 papers of ICAP then he/she can get membership of ICAP. If ACCA affiliate who gets ICAEW by claiming exemption (as stated above), can he/she appear in 2-3 papers of ICAP by using ICAEW membership? I am asking it because many institutes do not allow membership obtained through reciprocity agreements, exemption schemes or similar schemes with another accountancy body e.g. ICAA (Australia)and ICAEW

- shani420 - 03-01-2010

Dear lost,
yes, anyone who has gained icaew membership after availing exemptions on ACCA basis is allowed to get ICAP membership after passing 2 papers.ICAP has no problems with prior exemptions in ICAEW(althoug ,unlike ICAP, many other institutes don't accept prior exemptions).
Regards

- UzairCh - 03-02-2010

Yes currently ICAP has a policy of giving membership to those applicants who entered into ICAEW through ACCA, however I believe it may be changed soon.

- Muhammad Adnan Arshad - 03-31-2010

very nice info uzair

- ausmanpk2001 - 04-03-2010

Very informative Uzair. Thankyou very much for the information!

I wonder who appraises the trainees???

- sonu.m - 04-03-2010

<i>thank u Uzair bro 4 usefull information ... Plz just add one thing to our knowledge is ... is the icaew contract training perioed with ey is of 3 years or 5 years & second what is the stipund paid to icaew trainees. ..

as in kpmg training period is of 5 years ... with standard stipund ... </i> <font color="blue"></font id="blue"><b></b>

- UzairCh - 06-24-2010

Sonu.m

Sorry for late reply, I was quite busy at work. ICAEW registers a training contract of a minimum period of 24 months to 60 months, with a standard period of 36 months. A few people at EY are doing 24 months articles while others 36 months.

Stipend policy is the same that of ICAP.

- UzairCh - 06-24-2010

In my first post I listed 4 conditions set by EY to get ICAEW articles. EY Lahore office has now added another condition which has made it even more difficult if not impossible

1) You are an ACCA affiliate or member
2) You have been recruited as an ACCA or ICAP trainee in EY on normal course/routine
3) You have worked in EY for atleast 1 year
4) We have an internal appraisal grading system which is globally reportable. This appraisal scoring is out of 5 and you get atleast 4/5 in your initial appraisal.

The new condition now is
5) You scored a minimum of 60% in all ACCA Professional/Advanced level exams inlcuding optionals.

- UzairCh - 06-24-2010

Ausmanpak

I missed to answer your question "who appraises trainees".

Trainees are appraised by respective managers and assignment supervisors in several areas like, business awareness, ethics, professional/technical knowledge, punctuality, Interpersonal skills etc