Accountancy Forum
CHANGE IN ICAP's EXAMINATION POLICY - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: CHANGE IN ICAP's EXAMINATION POLICY (/showthread.php?tid=7689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CHANGE IN ICAP's EXAMINATION POLICY - kamranACA - 03-26-2010

Dears

Students have been waiting anxiously for the effectiveness of changs in examination policy by The ICAP. After a great deal of holding the horses, eventually such changes have been published in the Official Gazette on Feb 26, 2010 with the approval of the Federal Government. As per info the official copy of the Gazette has been received at ICAP on March 16, 2010.

Following amendments have finally been made/approved in Examination policy of ICAP

• At present, the candidates retain a pass in paper(s) if they obtain specified marks in other paper(s) of the same module. Effective from June 01, 2010, a candidate shall retain a pass in paper(s) irrespective of the marks obtained in other papers.

• Effective from Autumn 2010 examinations and onwards, candidates appearing in Module A to D shall be allowed maximum of six attempts for passing each module. An attempt shall be counted even if the candidate is absent or does not appear in any attempt.

• Candidates appearing in Module E and F shall be allowed ten years to qualify both Modules. The period of ten years shall be counted from the first day of the month in which the candidate becomes eligible to appear in Module E for the first time. For all existing candidates who are already eligible for Module E and F examinations, the period of ten years shall be counted from June 01,2010.

I hope this will provide a reply to all those who have been asking the associated questions time and again at the forum as well as at my e-mailing address.

Best of luck to all the students and examination candidates!!!

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- yousuf_gatta - 03-26-2010

Salam

I need to ask one thing. What happens if a student fails to pass Module D in 6 attempts ? Will he be ineligible to become a CA? or he will have to appear in Module A, B, and C again ??

- Muhammad Adnan Arshad - 03-26-2010

i think he / she will be ineligible to reappear in any CA (ICAP) exams further ..

- kamranACA - 03-26-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yousuf_gatta</i>
<br />Salam

I need to ask one thing. What happens if a student fails to pass Module D in 6 attempts ? Will he be ineligible to become a CA? or he will have to appear in Module A, B, and C again ??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dear

He/She will definitely have to take a start from the scratch.

Normally people don't find such courage to do so.

However, we have examples where people have historically done so when such limitations were previously imposed by ICAP. I remember a few names who afterwards even succeeded becoming partners in big firms.

So if some one needs to do so, he/she will have to take a fresh start.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- Boss - 03-26-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kamranACA</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yousuf_gatta</i>
<br />Salam

Dear

He/She will definitely have to take a start from the scratch.

Normally people don't find such courage to do so.

However, we have examples where people have historically done so when such limitations were previously imposed by ICAP. I remember a few names who afterwards even succeeded becoming partners in big firms.

So if some one needs to do so, he/she will have to take a fresh start.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

I think, against your statement number 1 where passed paper(s) will remain pass regardless of marks obtained in other papers of the same module(which are yet to be passed even after 6 attempts), retain passed papers will have to be taken afresh of that specific module rather than attempting the papers of other passed modules out of Module A-D afresh. If later is the case, then it seems discouraging.

By the way, this is a good news for ICAP's students.[8D]

- kamranACA - 03-26-2010

You can send an inquiry to ICAP; I told you what I understand based upon the practice which existed when such period limitation was earlier on imposed.

Yet, I believe what I wrote is correct.

Regards,

- FARHAN123 - 03-26-2010

Thanks Kamran bhai for the info . This is a positive step taken by ICAP . But i think in CA final students have to attempt all the four papers in module E and F .

- Schuaeb - 03-28-2010

There was a time when reservations were expressed by students that ICAP should disclose its passing criteria, and then 50% was disclosed as passing marks. In my personal observation no difference was felt in practical terms.

Permanent retention of passed exams irrespective of the marks/grades in other papers may seem to be a major change in ICAP's policy and it can be inferred that it will make things easier for the students. However, contrary to any such perception until and unless the Institute decides to increase the number of its members no tangible results will be there for students. Provided the number of successful candidates is far or less similar and the policy is relaxed for everyone, its not going to make any difference at all. There are arguments that such change in policies is to bring the policies of the Institute in-line with other international bodies and the management of the Institute has intentions to increase the number of members to compete with others, any such intention can make things a bit easier.

In my opinion there was no need for the re-introduction of the collapse policies and to the extent I know it may not be there in other international institutes. Failing in any of the subjects of CA Inter for six times and you've to re-appear in whole of the intermediate examination irrespective of the case that you've already passed all 12 other papers! this may be more brutal than any other of the policies and I hope that the particular student has to retake that particular module.

- kamranACA - 03-29-2010

Shoaib

If a person fails to pass a single paper of a module in six attempts; then what should be the recourse?

As per your conclusion he will be allowed to retake his module for seventh time.

If this is true, I wonder how the decision of curtailment of total attempts will make sense.

I don't know what ICAP will finally be coming up with on this matter but I believe this policy means that such candidate will have to start from a scratch if he desires so.

However, I agree that it is bit brutal to close down a way forwrad for struggling candidates; I fear under this scheme attempts will be kept on counted even if candidate will not be appearing for certain number of attempts. This appears bit unfair and students should seek clarification to plan their career beforehand. Required dialogue should be made (even at CASA level) if required.

I personally sent dissenting comments on this proposal but certainly decisions are derived by the mindset of majority.

As far as other institutes of the world are concerned I guess such rules are implemented at other parts of the world as well including ICAEW.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Kamran.

- shani420 - 03-29-2010

Kamran bhai,
1)If one doesn't wish to appear in an attempt(for example March attempt) to kia yeh attempt bhi 6 attempts main count ho gi?
2)Is it mandatory to appear in a module as a whole ya module k selective papers main appear ho sakte hain?(first time attempt kerte waqt)

- Schuaeb - 03-29-2010

What if a student fails to qualify within the ten years from the date of eligibility of appearing in final exams? Does he need to start again (from scratch I infer right from first module)? Certainly he cannot be made to return the certificates he already possesses i.e. foundation and intermediate or training completion certificate. Yes the case may be re-appearing in all the papers of module E & F including those already passed (according to this no loss to one who hasn't passed a single subject). Similar may be the case with foundation and intermediate students. If a student is not able to pass any of the intermediate paper within the given number of attempts, he need to re-take all papers of inter he has passed (remember he's already been issued foundation certifciate). This seems to be one of the logical interpretation of the policy according to me, though the Institute further needs to clarify this policy.

Another question that becomes pertinent here that what if a student opts for a combined attempt say of module c and d. According to the policy he's available with six attempts per paper i.e. he's to clear whole of two modules with six attempts. Again here another possibility may be that he is allowed for 12 attempts for qualifying all of the papers.

Obviously such policies are drafted after due deliberations and having suggestions from concerned members. However I personally am unable to decipher the motive beyond this policy. How come it's going to improve the standard of education imparted by the Institute. Further, until recently the motives for various policies was to attract more students as they constitute the major source of the Institute's revenue. PPT exemption, only two papers in Module A alongwith comparatively an easy passing criteria etc. may have achieved this objective to some extent. The effects of the current policy appears to be to the contrary.

- Schuaeb - 03-29-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shani420</i>
<br />Kamran bhai,
1)If one doesn't wish to appear in an attempt(for example March attempt) to kia yeh attempt bhi 6 attempts main count ho gi?
2)Is it mandatory to appear in a module as a whole ya module k selective papers main appear ho sakte hain?(first time attempt kerte waqt)

The policy specifically states that the attempts whether taken or not in which a candidate is eligible to appear will be counted toward the six or ten attempts.

Taking all the papers of the module at once is not mandatory any more and one can appear in one paper or so. However, according to my personal opinion the strategy of appearing in less than the whole module is not going to work at least for the attempts in near future, therefore in my opinion is not advisable.

I would like to hear what Kamran sb thinks of the situation i.e. not taking the whole module at once, whether it's gonna work. And do this policy makes things easier for the students assuming that the Institute has no intentions to increase its members (as some people say ten thousand till some particular year).

- shani420 - 03-29-2010

[/quote]
As far as other institutes of the world are concerned I guess such rules are implemented at other parts of the world as well including ICAEW.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Kamran.

[/quote]
ICAEW has a rule of maximum 4 attempts per module or paper.But they don't count all those exam sessions as an attempt in which a candidate is eligible to appear.
They consider it an attempt if a candidate applied for assessment,he appeared in exams and exam was completed(whether he attempted question or not is irrelevant).
It is not considered an attempt if
candidate didn't apply for exams even though he was eligible or he remained absent or he appeared but the exam ended due to some uncontrolable reason and could not be marked.
In addition to this a candidate can apply for extra attempts (e.g 5th one) if he has solid grounds and can prove them.

- shani420 - 03-29-2010

Thanks Schuaeb for ur reply.[/quote]
And do this policy makes things easier for the students assuming that the Institute has no intentions to increase its members (as some people say ten thousand till some particular year).
[/quote]
Is bat ka kya matlab hoa.Do all those candidates who r good enough to cross pass marks thershold r passed or ICAP pre-determine a fix number of candidates to pass and then pass candidates accordingly?

- Schuaeb - 03-29-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shani420</i>
<br />Thanks Schuaeb for ur reply.

And do this policy makes things easier for the students assuming that the Institute has no intentions to increase its members (as some people say ten thousand till some particular year).

Is bat ka kya matlab hoa.Do all those candidates who r good enough to cross pass marks thershold r passed or ICAP pre-determine a fix number of candidates to pass and then pass candidates accordingly?
May be not exactly but some rumours like that are there. Plus if the things are really like this it's not that bad as presumed by many. Had there been CAs in market in numbers as is the case with some various other professions, unemployed and lowly paid chartered accountants would have been a common sight.