Accountancy Forum
icap passing criteria - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: icap passing criteria (/showthread.php?tid=7785)

icap passing criteria - Tango - 04-09-2010

What is the passing criteria of ICAP?
-As mentioned in website, it is 50%,
But I heared from a accountancy professional that it is not 50%,
It is as, first examiner check all the papers then he find average of all numbers,
then this ‘average’ is set-up as passing line,
It may be goes up to 70, may be gows down to 50..
I think whatever the criteria is, icap should mention it,
Beside this that, mentioned is 50% and internal criteria is another.

- A.A - 04-09-2010

Passing criteria is 50%.At least I have never found ICAP to be unfair masha'allah.In 1 or 2 papers,I calculated my marks to be around 52 and ICAP also passed me in those,proving my assessment right everytime masha'allah.So you study hard and inshallah you'll pass.I have also heard many rumours,even some from teachers but have never believed them.Just have faith that God isn't unfair.

- shehryarkhalid - 04-10-2010

i dont think it is 50%. that is not hard and fast rule. i think it depends on your performance in all papers. take my example, my 1 paper was attempted correct near 93% and the second one i calculated the expected marks 38 out of 100 but i was passed in both papers.

- kamranACA - 04-10-2010

Adeel

Our students come from various backgrounds having variant set of whims, doubts and beliefs. Such whim are oftenly created by unsuccessful seniors or failures, general gossips and rumours, and even by the ones who tend to prove that what they have achieved is something out of the world.

Surprisingly, in Pak people have smoe how developed a common view point that CA is too challenging and hard to do. If you are from London, you must be knowing that people consider accountancy among one of the easier careers at UK when compared to some other quality professions and qualifications.

Anyway this is a lengthy debate so I would like to come back to your query. You said you are from among students of Qamar Raheed and Kamran Rasheed. I wonder if they have not truly clarified this matter to you.

My personal experience never let me to believe even a bit on the things which you use to read and listen about CA.

I never found any unexpected result during the my entire career in CA, and this is not what I am saying today.I also faced failures but I always knew that it was due to my pitfalls. I have shared my personal experience at this forum for so many times. I remember I used to know my result even before sitting for a paper.

Once I told my friend before the Financial Reporting paper (it was a referral) that no one in the world can fail me in this paper. He said, you must make such conclusion after sitting for and appearing in the paper. So, when the paper was over he came to me and asked what was my view after facing that difficult and challenging paper. I replied, no one in the world can fail me. He smiled critically and said, okay let's wait for the result (since paper was realy a hard nut).

Anyway, the eventual result proved what I said was justified and this is on record in my friendship circle.

Purpose of writing this incident again on the forum is to tell you that your result never goes against what you have done. Remember my words, never!!!

The one who believes to the contrary is either in self deception, or is unable to judge his-self appropriately due to some over-estimation or deliberately wants to dilute the effects of getting failed.

I firmly believe that ICAP strictly follows its rules in setting and declaring the results and believe you me besides personal experiences, I have so many reasons to have such belief.

Regards,

Kamran.

- Schuaeb - 04-10-2010

Though I do not have plenty of good results to be proud of but one thing that I've experienced so far that in the exams of ICAP you never or seldom find an unexpected result. There have been four or five times when I used the words ICAP FAIL KR KE DEKH LE right after the exam was over (though fear is always there while making such statements) but so far so true. But yes according to me alongwith other things the cumulative marks in a whole module affects the result of a single paper as well, this too may not be in contravention with any defined policy.

There are some reasons that make students to believe the aforementioned misconceptions that may require a long time to be discussed. Students have varied educational background, mental make up and approach towards studies. Owing to some unidentified mistakes at the end of a student many tend to blame the Institute. Plus another important reason for these myths about accountancy qualifications (chartered accountancy in particular) in our country is that seldom accountancy is chosen as the first choice, this also provides some reason for poor results.

- Tango - 04-10-2010

I am highly obliged to Seniors KamranACA and scheaub and A.A
for sharing of their experiences and facts,,

- shani420 - 04-10-2010

These rumours regarding pass marks and passing ratios r not just associated with ICAP but with many other foreign bodies of developing countries.
This December attempts final results of ICA-BANGLADESH were even more pathetic as compared to ICAP.Only 11 candidates passed in ICA-BANGLADESH final exams while 195 in ICAP.On another web Bangladeshis were raising similar doubts regarding their acc. body's policies.

- kamranACA - 04-10-2010

There is nothing mysterious; passing criteria is well disclosed and I told you with my experience that there are solid reasons for me to believe that ICAP follows what has been disclosed and announced. Similar conclusion came from Shoaib as well.

I hope no further mystery is embedded in this query that has to remain unsatisfied by above discussion. If it is, let me know what specific mystery you want to uncover.

You have not yet told what the mystery as per your apprehension is. I believe you should be sensible enough to differentiate some thing “mysterious” from the generalized unsupported sayings of struggling kids.

You used the sentence ....."I am unable to understand it eva!"..... and this "eva" suggested that you had been wondering on this "mysterious criteria" in past as well. That's why I asked why you could not get it clarified by your teachers.

Anyway, I would like to have your view point to clarify the issue further, should you so desire.

Regards,

- kamranACA - 04-11-2010

What you need to get justified or clarified? You still failed to point out? I repeat you failed to tell what is mysterious and what should I justify and in what capacity.

I can only tell you my experience and I have told it without any hide. Others have also shared their real life experiences. Even the poster of question has found answer satisfactorily but you could not. Is not it mysterious? What further you want to know?

Whims don't need to be justified at all by others. It's simply hilarious to ask for justification of a baseless allegation of those who find refuge by saying "grapes are sour". The ones who have complaints should justify why they get failed.

If you are upto the required level you certainly find the strength to say beforehand "no one in the world can declare me fail". And if some one remains failed he should analyze his weaknesses and endeavor to correct his-self instead of diluting the stress using falsified basis and spreading "mysterious" rumours.

Regardless of above let me again point out that you are asking for the answer without putting forward any logical and well founded question. Rather without even raising a question.

It's strange at your part, who also expresses a least concern with CA being an ACCA.

Regards,

- smfarazm - 05-25-2010

YES i totally agree..
I am very junior, but my icap's experience is that EXAM POLICY IS FAIR...