Accountancy Forum
how to improve written skills related to economics - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: how to improve written skills related to economics (/showthread.php?tid=7911)

how to improve written skills related to economics - Maryvaiz - 04-30-2010

Hi ppl, i need one help infact suggestion on how to improve my written skills specially whenever i have to talk abt general current economic conditions, i just fail to write an essay, it seems like my biggest fears whenever i have to go for a test,i'm good at academics, done my Acca 2 yrs Back but still i feel i lack this ability.i would appreciate if u guys help me on how to improve this.i dont really understand the basic concepts of economics, i would like to mention neither this subject was properly included in our books.Even if i'm qualified i still feel like tht is not enough. All your suggestions are welcome.
Thanku

- VITAL - 05-01-2010

You are saying that a qualified acca is unable to talk about the current economic conditions.There are numerous ACCAs in this forum who are proud of the quality of their study texts and TOUGHNESS of subjects like P2 and P4.Your statement cast significant doubts about the correctness of representations made by your fellow ACCAs in the topic ACCA vs CA.
Take my word ICAP has much better syllabus, format, pattern,recommended books etc. to produce professionals. And advice to you is to switch over these books recommended by ICAP for economics paper of module B.
And by the way what are the WRITTEN SKILLS?

- A.A - 05-17-2010

@MaryvaizAs far as I know,ACCA does not have an economics paper like us CA people do so it's not your fault.I would advise you to daily read the Business page of The News or Dawn.Since you don't have the basic concepts,you'll not understand much initially but in a few days,you'll start getting the hang of things.Read the articles thoroughly and soon you'll realize that you have improved.Your main wish is to be updated about the current economic conditions so you don't have to learn the basic principles of economics.You can also read magazines like The Economist if you are really interested.ICAP also publishes a quarterly Accounting magazineyou can download it from ICAP's website(under the Publication's tab).Similarly,yahoo.com has a finance favourite on it's pageyou can daily get international news from that.With enough reading,writing skills improve automatically too.Good luck!

- Maryvaiz - 05-19-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by A.A</i>
<br />@MaryvaizAs far as I know,ACCA does not have an economics paper like us CA people do so it's not your fault.I would advise you to daily read the Business page of The News or Dawn.Since you don't have the basic concepts,you'll not understand much initially but in a few days,you'll start getting the hang of things.Read the articles thoroughly and soon you'll realize that you have improved.Your main wish is to be updated about the current economic conditions so you don't have to learn the basic principles of economics.You can also read magazines like The Economist if you are really interested.ICAP also publishes a quarterly Accounting magazineyou can download it from ICAP's website(under the Publication's tab).Similarly,yahoo.com has a finance favourite on it's pageyou can daily get international news from that.With enough reading,writing skills improve automatically too.Good luck!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanku A.A for Ur detailed reply, i appreciate that u really replied so well not like started comparison between CA ACCA etc, i was least concerned between comparison of this Ca ACCA.i will try my best to start with the way u mentioned. Thanx again

- A.A - 05-19-2010

Most welcome!I just mentioned what I did and now has become a habit.I have been reading newspapers thoroughly since Class 9th,cover to cover except for the Business pages which I was never interested in before.I had heard my Economics teacher advise my seniors to read the Business page so the day after my Module A exams ended,I made myself finally read the Business pages.It went over my head for a few days and seemed quite boring but you gradually start understanding because anything really difficult is explained in the articles.Yahoo is pretty good for international stuff.And when budget comes this time,read it's analysis at least in the newspaper.Good luck!