Accountancy Forum
ACCA along with BBA (Honors) Finance? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: ACCA along with BBA (Honors) Finance? (/showthread.php?tid=8474)

ACCA along with BBA (Honors) Finance? - sigmax - 07-31-2010

Salam Everyone,

I have read very interesting discussions on this website. Therefore i'm hopeful that i'll be able to find answers for my query as well. I'm currently in my fourth year of <b>BBA Honors in Finance from Lahore School of Economics.</b> Up till now i have performed really well in terms of my CGPA and all. I've heard and read a lot about ACCA, so i was wondering if <b>ACCA along with BBA Honors in Finance is a good option or not?</b> Furthermore i need to know that will it be easy to manage my degree alongside ACCA or should i wait to complete my BBA and MBA before pursuing any professional qualification in Finance or Accounting?
I'd be extremely grateful for your suggestions.

- arsenal.gooner - 07-31-2010

since you are already in your fourth year of BBA, i would advice you to first complete it. this is because ACCA exams might clash with your semester exams so then it would be a problem. once you do your BBA, you have a lot of options. my advice to you would be that you should get a job and start working. this is because i believe you want to do your mba from the best and both IBA and LUMS require 2 years of work experience. if you are really committed, you can do acca in this time, that is, the time you have between your bba and mba.

I hope this will help. if i have misunderstood your scenario, do let me know

Rgds,
Arsenal Gooner

- sigmax - 08-01-2010

@ arsenal

Thanks a lot for replying.[)] I like your suggestion but as far as i know ACCA can be completed in 10 years. So even if there is a clash with my semester exams, can't i skip a paper or two and even if there is a lot of pressure, don't i have the option of not giving an ACCA paper altogether until the next exam period? Actually i was hoping to at least start off with ACCA now, as the initial papers are relatively easy. I'll have a chance to give the difficult papers after my degree is complete. I think this will save time. I want to know if ACCA is the best option for me among all the professional qualifications out there? Will it really help to boost my knowledge and skills?
As far as your MBA suggestion is concerned that is my ultimate desire but unfortunately due to certain issues, i intend to complete my studies before acquiring a job. Due to this reason i was thinking of doing an MBA from LSE because LSE doesn't require any work experience and moreover LSE graduates are able to complete their MBA in less time. I believe this will help me to get into the job market and if i feel at a later stage in life that my qualification is not up to the mark, i can always pursue another MBA from some better institution. What do you think?! Is this the right approach?

- arsenal.gooner - 08-01-2010

hmm. okay one thing that i misunderstood in my earlier post was that i took 4th semester as 4th year. so my bad.

you are right that ACCA is very flexible and the first 3 papers are bachcha. you have to give CBE which you can give anytime as you see fit. about the rest, yes you can take your time and i think that if you can afford it, it would be a good idea.

but plz dont go for double mba.. i dont think it would be a wise choice. do your mba once and from a good university.

Rgds,

- sigmax - 08-01-2010

@ arsenal

No you didn't misunderstand any thing. I am indeed in my fourth year with only two semesters to go until my graduation. Thanks a lot for your help. I truly appreciate that.

- arsenal.gooner - 08-01-2010

np signmax.

one more thing, since you are in your last year, i would like to tell you that even if you dont give any ACCA papers, you will be able to claim exemptions (i think first 4 papers) after you complete your BBA.

Rgds,