Accountancy Forum
CFA or MBA Lums? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: CFA or MBA Lums? (/showthread.php?tid=8591)

Pages: 1 2 3

CFA or MBA Lums? - adnanmobin - 08-18-2010

i am unable to decide in between the two...i.e 1. CFA or 2. MBA from Lums.

i am currently in the 8th semester of my BBA with majors in finance..

my query is that what is worth doing if any one wants to stay in Pakistan or even abroad???

considering i have no prior work experience apart from jsut a single internship so wat will u guys suggest me to do...

1. CFA
2. MBA from Lums

now the question that needs to be addressed is that if any person clears level 1 or level 2 can he get a relevant jobs if he is BBA finance qualified from Uni other than IBA/Lums???

another question is that how difficult it is to get admission in Lums for an Mba?>>

kindly reply to my queries so i makeup my mind

- adnanmobin - 08-20-2010

53 views no reply???

- adnanmobin - 08-21-2010

reply plz????

senior members plz help me decide my career path

- Toronto_Boy - 08-21-2010

LUMS ya kisi bhi dosri achi university say achi tarha parh aur samajh kar MBA karlo. Phir job karo, aur job kay saath CFA kartay rahna.

- adnanmobin - 08-21-2010

wat if i start doin CFA straight after BBA without any job experience?

will CFA level 1 or level 2 qualified will help grabbing an entry level job in Pakistan???

- Toronto_Boy - 08-22-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adnanmobin</i>
<br />wat if i start doin CFA straight after BBA without any job experience?

will CFA level 1 or level 2 qualified will help grabbing an entry level job in Pakistan???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Entry level job tu BBA par bhi mill sakti hay, depending on many factors like luck, contacts, how well you can perform in interviews and tests etc.

Baqi BBA kay baad CFA bhi thik hay, magar risk zyada hay. MBA karna CFA karnay say aasaan hay, there are generaly speaking more chances to pass/complete MBA than CFA. Phir aaj kal kay competition main masters degree ki zaroorat bhi par jatai hay, jiskay liay abhi bahtar time hay yani MBA karnay ka. CFA job aur other family responsibilities kay saath hota rahta hay.

Baqi aapki marzi hay, BBA kay baad hi CFA karlain, job bhi InshaAllah mill jay gi.

- tariqsohail - 08-22-2010

Toronto_Boy,

Did you ever try CFA exam?, because I find your reply on CFA at couple of occassions. I am asking this to discuss few other things in case you ever try CFA?.

Regards,
Tariq

- sigmax - 08-22-2010

@adnanmobin

The thing is that for an MBA from LUMS you'll need to have at least 2 years work experience. Although the condition of work experience is not compulsory yet it is 'highly' preferred. There are only a few cases in each MBA batch who get admitted without a formal work experience. But even in those few cases these students have relevant internships and an 'exceptional' score in GMAT or the LUMS MBA test.

Considering your case you don't have a lot of internships at your disposal therefore an entry into LUMS would require an excellent academic background and a very high GMAT score. If you think you are capable enough to fulfill these conditions, even then there is no 'guarantee' that you will be admitted in the MBA program.

As far as your query regarding CFA is concerned, if you are into investments side of Finance then CFA is a good option. CFA is widely recognized in Pakistan and abroad as well. But as it was mentioned earlier, CFA requires a lot of hard work and dedication. You can surely get a reasonable job after clearing the Level 1 exam even if you are a BBA qualified from some mediocre university. But the thing is that you can't expect to attain high level positions solely after clearing CFA Level 1. For further growth and career progression you will need to clear all levels of CFA.

- sigmax - 08-22-2010

My humble opinion is that, if you really want to do an MBA from LUMS or some other 'good' university, then do acquire some relevant work experience. This will help you to benefit from an MBA program in a befitting manner.

OR

If acquiring work experience is not an option at the moment and if you are into investments, portfolio management and financial analysis then CFA is the right option for you. Remember that a fully qualified CFA may earn higher than an MBA from LUMS.

- Toronto_Boy - 08-22-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tariqsohail</i>
<br />Toronto_Boy,

Did you ever try CFA exam?, because I find your reply on CFA at couple of occassions. I am asking this to discuss few other things in case you ever try CFA?.

Regards,
Tariq

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hey Tariq

How r u. Long time, didn't see ur posts. Whats goin on on cpa front.

No, not yet for cfa, but future is open.

Best Regards

- tariqsohail - 08-22-2010

Hi,

I start visiting forum after long break due to some unavoidable circumstances from work and family perspective.

CPA front is at the same place where it was before (means no improvement). Actually I am planning to have a go for CFA (though it is just at planning stage) but definitely I have to do something in the coming 6 months or so because I had long break in the last few years and wants to do something now.

Regards.

- adnanmobin - 08-23-2010

if i get into CFA then level 1 will not be the only target... will complete it till level 3 INSHALLAH... thanks alot guys 4 giving so much valuable points.. i dropped out IBA just bcz of the fact that they require 2 years min work experience for MBA thats y i compared CFA with Lums, as one of the members mentioned that they prefer work experience and the chances of getting admission in mBA without work experience and even very high GMAt scores are not on the higher side....

so guys let me decide my final decision should i step in and take classes to appear in the June 2011 attempt?? or i should prepare for GMAT for LUMS admission?i cant makeup my mind bcz even if i clear GMAT with gud score then even ther is no surity that i will get admission ther....

so if i work hard for CFA and clear level 1 and 2 inshALLAh then can i have a gud entry level job??? m asking it 4 the second time just bcz it will be about my future...

one more thing... inshALLAh i will be doing MBA in future if i get the required amount of experience that IBA/LUMS require so should i opt for CFA now???

- WARDAH - 08-23-2010

cfa or mba lums ka to ni pta.....albta ager cooking classes laini hon to kaka bawani ya maimon institute sy ja k laini chahyin bohat acha sikhatay hain.

- Sarfaraz Khan - 08-23-2010

mohtarma ye serious forum hai..yahan p ap es qisam k mazakh mat karain..samjhe $

- adnanmobin - 08-24-2010

@ wardah
aap ki khano say related baton say andaza ho raha k ap ko roza kafi lagta hai tabhi serious topic mein aise behki behki baten karnay lag jate hain aapP

lol

plz guys gimme sum serious advice...