Accountancy Forum
Compare ACCA with MBA for work in Pakistan - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Compare ACCA with MBA for work in Pakistan (/showthread.php?tid=8592)

Compare ACCA with MBA for work in Pakistan - omarschaudhry - 08-18-2010

Hello members,
At the moment I am studying for my A-Levels, and will be giving my final examns in June 2011. Subjects include, Mathematics, Accounting, Economics and Business Studies.
I am little confused about few things, and will like to have your opinions in this respect.
Please note that I have NO plans to work outside Pakistan, and will like to work in Pakistan, I am mentioning this so that your responses be in accordance to Pakistan's corporate market

a. Acceptance of ACCA certification by Banks, Insurance Companies, and other Financial Institions for jobs.

b. Comparing net worth of a qualified ACCA person with a qualitied MBA from recognized universities ( such as Punjab University, Karachi University, LUMS, etc ).

Frankly, I am not much interested in being a CA, reason is that I do not find an Auditor to be an interesting career for myself ( this is my own personal opinion, and nothing against auditors ).

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Umer

- arsenal.gooner - 08-18-2010

okay first to clear off your misconception, even ACCAs are normally auditors but they are just not allowed to practice in Pakistan which means that they can never elevate to the position of Partner with ACCA alone.

Most of the CAs do not work as auditors once they have completed their mandatory training, just to let you know. they work at top positions in public ltd companies.

as far as your main question is concerned regarding the real worth of an MBA grad with ACCA, An MBA from IBA or LUMS will mostly have the edge over ACCAs but this is assuming both are fresh.

While ACCA is more specialized, MBA has a far greater scope and acceptability in Pakistan especially from the top two. ACCA is still looked down upon as a poor man's chartered accountant in most people's books.

However, let me also tell you that the most important gauge of measurement is the experience of a person. Experience is the key when it comes to the corporate world and with so much competence among the human resource, nobody is content with just a single qualification to spend the rest of their lives with. Whether MBA, CA, ACCA, ACMA, they all try to diversify by getting at least one more qualification.

even though there are no hard and fast rules, you can deduce the following

MBA LUMS/IBA will always have the edge due to their acceptability in the corporate sector however the same cannot be said about MBA from other university include KU,PU and so on... they dont stand such a strong ground in front of IBA/LUMs and maybe here, ACCA takes the edge.

Hope this helps

Rgds,
Arsenal Gooner