Accountancy Forum
Career path starts other than firms ? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Career path starts other than firms ? (/showthread.php?tid=9221)

Career path starts other than firms ? - Eddy - 12-06-2010

I figured this was best to ask here instead of the Career topic as my question relates to firms.

Simply said, I know CA's have to go to firms ... there aint no choice. ACCAs however dont. Im a finalist and Im considering other career paths as well.

Notably my mind is towards the Financial Managment side, with CFA as a future prospect (after getting some proper experience). The side of Islamic Banking also is something Im highly interested in due to its growing nature plus the religion factor. Basically Im more interested in Risk and Finance and Advisory rather than Audit.

My question is this, for an ACCA ... does it really make a HUGE difference if I stay three years in a firm then get a job or start off in a multinational or a bank ? Ofcourse I would opt into their Trainee programmes to get proper training rather than get saturated in one department.

I do know banks like HBL and Meezan hire ACCA trainees on either 1 or 3 year proper training basis. Other big corporations do that too. I personally know two people working in Telenor Pakistan. I have read on websites of companies like ICI and PSO that they hire Finance trainees

Moving through that line, is it a wise move ? Remember I do not find myself that much interested in Audit. Im better at making sense of numbers, and advisory and planning etc. are my more strong suits.

Advises from seniors would be much appreciated!

- sheikh_sb - 12-08-2010

HAY eddy ...i was thinking that sorts of things around 2 years ago when i qualified ACCA.. currenty working in one of the big 4 audit firms at lahore office ..dude its perfect to start your training in a financial institution like a bank (wheather conventional,islamic or investment) especialy when u wana do CFA or sumthing like that..
come to audit firms only if u wana do CA of pakistan otherwise i would advise there is no reason for u to join audit firm..stop thiking about this option and one other thing...start searching for refrences as wel as applying for the jobs..

- alihassan1414 - 12-08-2010

sheikh_sb can u plz elaborate ur answer.....y u recomend other institution as compare to audit firm...........i,m also ACCA affiliate ...trying to became a part of audit firm .......i,ve applied in many firms but no propper response.......our tutors advice us to joine audit firm during studies.......they said there is no alternaative then an audit firm.........ur future growth rate will be higher as compare to trainee from an industry....if u choose industry to start up then u will not be hired by other industry while if u r trainee from an audit firm u have still chance to join any coorporation......audit firm has propper procedure of training while the industry has not....................INSHA ALLAH i,ll start cfa next year and then doctrate level degree in islamic finance.(as eddy).....i,m confused can u plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz eloborate ur answer ...that y u prefer other institution instead of audit firm........can u plz also tell me about u r experince from affiliate to till now.....i,ll be very great full to u.........
regards.....<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sheikh_sb</i>
<br />HAY eddy ...i was thinking that sorts of things around 2 years ago when i qualified ACCA.. currenty working in one of the big 4 audit firms at lahore office ..dude its perfect to start your training in a financial institution like a bank (wheather conventional,islamic or investment) especialy when u wana do CFA or sumthing like that..
come to audit firms only if u wana do CA of pakistan otherwise i would advise there is no reason for u to join audit firm..stop thiking about this option and one other thing...start searching for refrences as wel as applying for the jobs..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

- Eddy - 12-10-2010

Well Sheikh_Sb ur the second person actually recommending me that. The other is also a qualified CA working in an audit firm on a Manager level. He told me that unless I want to do CA, and especially if im more motivated towards CFA ... Im better off working elsewhere.