Accountancy Forum
Actuary - Best University - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Actuary - Best University (/showthread.php?tid=957)

Pages: 1 2

Actuary - Best University - IllusionFS - 07-08-2004

Hello
I am in the Uk. I have offers from City University, University of Kent, Heriot Watt university and University of South Hampton for a degree in Actuarial Science.
Please can anyone which university I should chose for my further studies. Any help will be highly appreciated. According to the website www.actuaries.org.uk, the best among my options is Heriot Watt.

Regards

- sumaaan - 07-08-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hello
I am in the Uk. I have offers from City University, University of Kent, Heriot Watt university and University of South Hampton for a degree in Actuarial Science.
Please can anyone which university I should chose for my further studies. Any help will be highly appreciated. According to the website www.actuaries.org.uk, the best among my options is Heriot Watt.

Regards

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Kindly wait for DerivativeTrader's reply as well as he's in LSE himself doing BSc in Actuarial Sciences...

My advise would be to go to City University.

- derivativetrader - 07-11-2004

Congratulations for getting those conditional offers.

Each of those 4 universities have their own advantages and disadvantages. If you live in London or near London and are quite certain that you are going to get atleast ABB (which I believe would be your offer) then you should put City as your firm choice.

If you live quite far from London and to get City would mean renting a flat or taking university accomodation, then you may want to choose hariot-watt. Hariot-watt is based in Edinburgh and have equally well reputation (atleast) in the UK. The cost of living in Edinburgh may be significantly less than in London.

Kent has its own advantages. I think they have at their university the deloitte's Prophet software. The knowledge of this market leading insurance software may be found very useful when you look for graduate employment.

Southampton has, among the rest of them, the highest higher education ranking, according to Daily Times.

At the end of the day, you should decide which course and which university would suit your short, medium and long term plans. If you intend to seek employment in pakistan post graduation, then I think City would be more suitable. Also, if you also think that you would want to do a MSc in Actuarial Science too, then you should also join City, cause apparently it is easier to get into that MSc programme if you also do a BSc from City. Also, by having done BSc from City you would get significant discount in your MSc tuition fee. For more on this please visit city's website.

If you take the 4 yr city course, then you may also get 1 year placement in actuarial department, which would definately help you in the long run when you would be looking for graduate programmes.

What about LSE? Did you apply and what was the outcome? BTW which A Levels have you done? For LSE I think they need Further Maths as a pre-requisite these days.

One thing you must ensure that what ever your offers are, you must have atleast 1 grade different final choices. For instance, if city asks for ABB and hariot also asks for ABB, then you must not choose both of them - although you could but that would be like putting all your eggs in one basket. Also, there would be no real point of having two choices anyway because if you do get atleast ABB then you are bound to go to your firm choice university. I'm sure you would have known this already.

Before making a final decision do consult with your parents and teachers at college. I'm sure their advices and suggestions would matter alot, as they would know your abilities.

Good luck and do let us know what you decided. In the mean time if you need any more information, please don't hesitate to post your question and we would be happy to give you some feedbacks.

Cheers
DT

- IllusionFS - 08-19-2004

I did not get the expected grades and now I only have University of Southampton on my list. Any advice how it will go for me?

- derivativetrader - 08-21-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I did not get the expected grades and now I only have University of Southampton on my list. Any advice how it will go for me?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Final decision is always going to be yours, however, this is what I would like to take into your consideration,

1. Since, you don't have any other choice except that to go to Soutahmpton this year and until unless you don't want to take a Gap Year and try to improve your marks, then go to Southampton.

2. I assume that you are referring to the course called Mathematics with Actuarial Studies. Somebody once told me that this course doesn't allow you to get up to all 9 Series 100 Exemptions from IOA. I don't know much about this issue, but if it is the case then may be you have to give going to Southampton another thought.

3. If you still wants to go to Southampton, then just go ahead and work more hard next yr and try to get atleast 21 if not 11, and perhaps to get somekind of Actuarial Work Experience too (after your First Yr). This together with Further Work Experience after second yr would undoubtedly improve your job prospects and you may land job at top tier actuarial firm / consultancy.

Good Luck and if you still want more info./guidance, pls dont afraid to post your query.

DT

- Ghayasjawed - 08-23-2004

HiYA and salaam to everybody
I must introduce myself to everybody
I am a student of Adamjee College and always maitain A-1 grade in my studies.I've heard about ACTUARY.I dont know much about it.I only want to know that being in Karachi,Pakistan what are conditions to apply for this field.I meand how much marks obtained in intermediate exams,in which institute it is better to apply and whose degree is recognized world wide and some info about its job.Please send me the information.I will be very thankful to each and everbody.You can send me at ghayasjawed@hotmail.com and ghayas_jawed@yahoo.com
BiO and Allah Hafiz

Ghayas Jawed Adamjian

- ahmed - 08-26-2004

HiYA and salaam to everybody
I must introduce myself to everybody
I am a student of Adamjee College and always maitain A-1 grade in my studies.I've heard about ACTUARY.I dont know much about it.I only want to know that being in Karachi,Pakistan what are conditions to apply for this field.I meand how much marks obtained in intermediate exams,in which institute it is better to apply and whose degree is recognized world wide and some info about its job.Please send me the information.I will be very thankful to each and everbody.You can send me at ghayasjawed@hotmail.com and ghayas_jawed@yahoo.com
BiO and Allah Hafiz

Ghayas Jawed Adamjian
AoA
dear adamjian........acturial sciences is no doubt a very rewarding field to go in .....u have to complete ur inter wid mathematics wid not less than 70% marks..or a grade...then u culd apply in state life for acturial sciences....there are only five seats admisiion rewarded on basis of entry test...or u culd do it from K.u ...or privately ...there are 6 papers....first four to be done in 2 years and remaining 4 to be done in 4 yrs
for further information u could contact office of state life.

u never know

- derivativetrader - 08-26-2004

there are 6 papers....first four to be done in 2 years and remaining 4 to be done in 4 yrs

I'm sure our friend Ahmed is not an Actuary or intending to become Actuary.. Why? Because he doesn't even know his simple Mathematics, i.e. what is 4 + 4??

I think many of us normal people would make it 8 but he has made it 6!!!!

- Goodman - 08-27-2004

he must be an ACCA. (Just a Joke)

- Pracs - 08-27-2004

hmmmm... i am sure u r not an ACCA.. that's a little below the belt mate isn't it ?

- Goodman - 08-27-2004

Pracs
Thanks to Allah, I am a practising ACCA member besides other qualifications.

I cant say the person would be an ICAP student, because it would hurt our ICAP student friends.

BTW, it was meant to be light heart statement. But I would like to be clear on what was meant to be said as to how many papers were there, six or eight.

Final note, some people do have the quality of adding up income for the purpose of tax as 4+4=6. I never get to understand how do they do it (probably unearned income c/f in B/S). Now is it a good quality for the purpose of becoming a real professional accountant or not is another question

- ahmed - 08-27-2004

Aoa
me not an acturay ....i am doin my c.a ...it was jus a little mistake i will correct it ....."remaining 2 to be done in 4 years " )

u never know

- Pracs - 08-28-2004

Thank you for clearing that up Goodman,... that shows ACCA's have a good sense of humour. I think you believe on the logic that if you have the guts to laugh on yourself, no one else ca hurt you.

Good keep it up . )

- Goodman - 08-28-2004

<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>
no one else ca hurt you.

Good keep it up . )

</font id=code></pre id=code>
believe me or not, it is practically impossible on this forum. So Good work cant always be kept up.

- Quarterback - 09-27-2004

not sure about UK but in USA and Pak you cant sign as an actuary without professional credentials.

Therefore choose a program (with a school) that is geared toward passing exams.

oh and school means college.

word.

what up dawg?