Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Career study options ACCA, ADIT, CA??
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM,
Career study options ACCA, ADIT, CA??
Hi all.
I am a new member here, and was hoping to get some advice.

I am an australian citizen, but currently living and working in Denmark, leaving denmark is not really an option as I am kind of stuck here with my girlfriend.

Anyway, what I wanted to know is what options do you think I should take to enhance my career prospects. I currently work for a small international tax advisory and corporate services firm here as an assitant account manager.

I have a double bachelor degree in Accounting / Banking and Finance from a very good university in australia (Monash university).

I am thinking of doing the ACCA but dont know how respected and beneficial this would be. I looked into when and if I go back to Australia it will give me membership to be an Aussie CA, but unfortunately it just gives me entry to the program which I get anyway from my bachelors degrees. I could also do an australian CPA from here but its not as highly regarded in aus as the CA.

I am also thinking of undertaking an advanced diploma ininternational taxation from the chartered intitute of taxation in britain. Can anyone give me some advice on whether I should undertake the ACCA, is it a worthwhile and respected program, that having status I could use to work in a big 4 firm in australia?

And I am very interested in international taxation, to be an advisor is it recommended I have a chartered accountancy behind me?

Any other good career options you people have would be widely appreciated. Thanks

09-14-2006, 01:12 AM,
ACCA is starting in AU & NZ

I dont think that own its own it will give you the opportunity to work in the big4 & make a great career but if you previours work experience in big4 anywhere around the worl, then you could get in to AU big4's but still you will have to complete AU CPA or CA to go the height of your career

If you really wanna go to the australia at the end, then opt some aussie qualification

Work at some big4 in denmark or anywhere else. this will really count in australian big4's

I can't give u more advice coz I don't have much info myself
09-14-2006, 09:55 PM,
Hi ozdane

As you mentiond that your ultimate goal is to work in Australia in tax field.

If you do ACCA and become ACCA member you have apply for
CPA Australi membership straight away provided that you have bachelor degree (which you have) as ACCA has MRA with CPA Australia. Please note that ACCA does not currently taking tax paper in australian variant. I therefore advise you to check with CPA Australia regarding this as CAP AUS may require you to take tax paper if you want to be CPA Aus member.

AS i never been to Aus therefore I do not know anything about status of CPA Aus in Aus.

As you mentioned that you r Australian national. I therefore advise you to do CA from Australia which is recognised all over the world, it is my personal recommendation.

CA from Aus after ACCA will be worthless as there is no MRA between ACCA and ICAA and as a result you have to take alomost 80% of ICAA examinations again.

I shall be grateful to you if you kindly advise me that amongt
CA Australia and CPA Australia which qualification is regarded more supereme term of knowledge and job market. I know CPA Austraia can do Audit of plc in Australia.

Khalid Sipra

M.A, ACCA, London
09-15-2006, 12:02 AM,
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

ausmanpk2001 I think your suggestion to get some experience in a big 4 is a good move. So im going to try and do that here in europe if I can. If only for 6 months or something. The girlfriend will have to wait for me in denmark while i leave to do it.

mroneflower The australian CA from ICAA is the more highly regarded of the two (against the CPA that is), all the big 4's train people to become CA's not CPA's. Would love to do the CA from here, but I can't because you have to go to face to face classes in aus, and you need to be with an authorised training organisation which I am not.
09-15-2006, 06:58 AM,

Undoubtdly CA from ICAA is more reputed in Australia, an ACCA will take you a long wy as well. You will not be able to practise as tax adviser or an auditor. However, I know from personal experience that Big4 firms in Australia do hire ACCAs as well, an australian qualification will be a requirement only when you get on to the partner track.
09-15-2006, 05:49 PM,
Thanks for the tips again.

I have decided I need to get some big 4 experience, so I'm thinking of going to work in either Luxembourg or UK, and hoping after a short while tog et transfered to one of the offices in denmark.

What do you people think would be best LUX or UK, if any difference at all. I can't decide which location to try for.

Look forward to hearing your comments
09-15-2006, 07:36 PM,
If you think appropriate you can take a diploma course in Advanced Financial Reporting from ACCA. It will help you a lot in Europe, specially in BIG 4.

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Accountancy | Return to Top | | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication