Accountancy Forum

Full Version: CPA in Pakistan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nomanchaudhry</i>
<br />Dear Maqsood

I am interested in appearing for the CPA exam. I am ACMA- Finalist (1 Paper Remaining) from the Institute of Cost & Management Accountants of Pakistan (ICMAP). In addition, I am an Associate Public Accountant (APA) from Pakistan Institute of Public Finance Accountants but my APA qualification is based on exemptions obtained on account of papers cleared from ICMAP therefore I don’t have transcripts but just the certificate. They also provide a letter stating that based on my existing qualification I meet the passing criteria of all their papers and hence exemption is granted.

Based on the above, I have two queries

1. Am I eligible to appear in the CPA exam from either Michigan or Delaware state?
2. Is it possible to send just the certificate of my APA qualification along with syllabus to the evaluator. Is it acceptable or do I need to send some other paperwork as well?

Lastly, i have a valid US visa so traveling is not an issue.

Regards
Noman A. Chaudhry

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=7415

I hope Nauman and Maqsood bhai would not mind my copy/pasting this post here, as this is a sticky thread. My reply may help other potential future candidates. My reply is following;

Dear Noman

I am very pleased that you wanna work for CPA (AICPA). But, I think you would have to do some planning and ground work. Unless a candidate for CPA (AICPA) is a member of Canadian CA, Australian CA and CPA, New Zealand CA, ICAI (Ireland), and Mexican Accounting body, he/she would have to satisfy some requirements. These requirements are (1) Degree Requirement; from acceptable accredited college or university (2) 120/150 accredited credit hour (taken from accredited college or university) requirement INCLUDING specific number of business and accounting courses requirement, just to be eligible to write 4 CPA exams (3) Writing four CPA exams which are being conducted only within USA till date. So, till date a candidate MUST have to go there to appear in CPA exams (4) Acceptable Experience Requirement It depends whether a candidate needs “Certificate” only or “License”. States which offers both are 2 tier States. Only some States are 2 tier (perhaps around 6, but I am not confirmed). Otherwise, if a State is not a 2 tier State, then most likely it would need “Acceptable Experience” to award a “certificate or license”. (5) Residency (in States) or Social Security Number (SSN) Requirement. (6) CPD hours requirement to maintain status of “certificate or license” later on.

All above requirements vary State to State, so one must have to find a State for which that candidate could satisfy ALL requirements. If he/she could not satisfy all requirements then he/she would not have “certificate or license” at the end, and whole exercise becomes fruitless. So, finding a State as per its requirements and candidate’s personal situation and “matching” the two is a “major hurdle”.

One very important point which I wanna explain here based on my experience is that, without hurting anyone’s feelings, State Boards of Accountings and their “evaluators” DO NOT accept courses directly taken from associations with which AICPA does not have MRA. I have mentioned above that till date AICPA has MRA only with few associations. Therefore, unfortunately it does not accept courses taken directly from CIMA, ICAEW, ICAP, or ICMAP etc. Till few months back ACCA was accepted to Colorado Board (for both educational and license requirements) but now Colorado Board of Accounting has changed its policy. So, evaluators for different States do not accept courses directly taken from ANY of associations with which that specific State Board of Accounting or AICPA does not have MRA.

However, AICPA accepts degrees and courses taken from accredited colleges or universities from all over the world. Thus, State evaluators would accept courses taken from Karachi University, Punjab University, Khairpur University, Baha Uddin University and other accredited colleges/universities, but unfortunately would not accept courses directly taken from ICMAP/ICAP or APA. So, APA achieved through exemptions is not an issue, because simply AICPA does not have MRA with APA or ICMAP/ICAP.

So, your BCom and its courses from Karachi University would be most likely acceptable, BUT would be SHORT in number of credit hours. So, you would have to do at-least bridging courses, even if your BCom is accepted equivalent to required degree (i.e. degree requirement above) of specific State of your choice. However, if that State (of your choice) did not accept length of your BCom degree then you would have to do another accredited “bridging” degree too like one or two year Master degree etc.

Some times satisfying experience requirement can also be a hurdle. Generally States want public accounting experience under licensed CPA (or under CA of association with which AICPA has MRA), however some States also accept industry experience. Now, some candidate opt a State which accepts industry experience but might not be able to satisfy residency or Social Security Number (SSN) requirement if that State requires SSN.

I am providing some important weblinks for your further search. You must need to visit following websites frequently.

http//www.cpanet.com/cpa_forum/default.asp

http//www.nasba.org/nasbaweb/NASBAWeb.nsf/WPHP?OpenForm NASBA conducts CPA exams for ALL Boards of Accounting

http//www.aicpa.org/yellow/ypsboa.htm Links to all Boards of Accounting and their requirements

http//www.becker.com/accounting/cpaexamreview/michigan/ Becker is the best but most expensive course material provider. Click on right hand top corner on “Choose a State” to have a quick look at requirements of any specific State and to find State of your choice.

http//www.prometric.com/CPA/default.htm Prometric website to book CPA exams.

http//www.facsusa.com/ This is one of the 5 or 6 acceptable “evaluator” organization, who would evaluate degrees and marksheets as per requirements of State of your choice. Evaluator would let you know whether you are eligible to sit for exam or not.

I hope it helps.

Best Wishes

good day
i hold IFRS certification
thanks for my lord
as to comparasion between CPA and ACCA
I believe each certification has differient requirements and skills and also it give certain position
for instance as to CPA ,it is achieved in amesrican states this condition is very difficult as to any one out american states
how ever CPA Contain from 4 parts as follow -
Part Reference Title
I Auditing & Attestation
II Financial Accounting & Reporting
III Regulation
IV Business Environment & Concepts

as to CPA BOOKS
THERE is several sources fo instance
willy , backer , gliem lampers
i read very much about these sources
i believe gliem books are the best
as to backer books requiried previous backgrount for accounting and auditing
as well as its are shortly
as to willy books its is so much ,very voluminies
i advice you gliem books
i have gliem publication as pdf on my labtop ,anyone will need its ,requirie it from me
sent for me massage in my private and i will replay for you quickly
the best regards
what is worth/creditability of CPA from ICPAP pakistan?
Hi,
I'm an ACCA finalist and I want to do CPA now. Is there anyone who has done acca and then CPA??? as I want to know that whether I can apply for CPA with my ACCA degree....and also want to know when are CPA exams held I mean in which months and how many times a year???
please mail me at this id if anybody can help me,will be grateful. my id is "night.angel52@yahoo.com"
hey can anyone please tell whether a cia qualified is eligible to sit cpa exams ?? .. please reply
Hi, i received the following email from a course provider. Can anybdy comment as to what exactly, if any, has there been a change of rules, which the person is talking about?

Dear noman,
I am contacting you to follow up with our previous correspondence regarding the U.S. Certified Public Accounting desgination. As you may recall, my speciality is in helping to determine your eligibility to sit for the CPA exam. If eligible, I can then assist you through the application process.
Recently, there have been several positive changes in state eligibility regulations and they may affect you!
If you are still interested in pursuing the U.S. CPA designation, it will be important for you to find out if this updated information applies to you (please note that in many cases there will be no changes but for some candidates it may be quite dramatic).
If you would like to find out if these new rules affect your status, please contact me by return e-mail. I will then look up your file and let you know if your eligibility will be affected and advise you accordingly.
To Find Out If These Recent Changes Affect Your Status,
Email Me la.rogers@cpaexcel.com
For Doing CPA you have to go UK to get CPA certificate.
No institute offers CPA in pakistan
UK OR USA ??? )
AOA ALL,

Any one can guide me about CIA.

Plz
its great information, i hope that you will share more information
I agree with first three comments. CPA Exams can be given in US. online live help available at http//www.schweser.com/cpa/products/live.php
Hello guys,I am new here, I am from USA.I am student of University,Currently I have doing MBA.I am regular user of internet.My hobby like a watching TV and listing English song.I am new this forum So I want great information regarding this forum.Thanks in advance.
If you want information about the cpa consider looking at the state or province in which you are applying. Rules differ slightly about the process involved. You can find a few resources on http//www.big4interview.com
salam
Recently i did MBA (Finance) one of my friend told me about CPA. my self i dont know about it , is it well be beneficiary for me or not?
and is there any exemption for me? if yes , then kindly guide me

SHERY
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your forum, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work
-------------------
http//www.tvonlinewatch.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8